The "egg" part of Green Eggs and Ham

The "egg" part of Green Eggs and Ham
Click on the egg to go to my Facebook page to "like"

Sunday 27 April 2014

Making something out of (almost) nothing

This weekend, we ended up doing some projects for the house.
On Saturday we went to a garage sale and I saw a coffee table I liked the look of - well, I liked the look of what I knew it might be!
This photo was taken part way through the sanding back. The top of the table was originally darker than the legs!

Only cost $10. I decided to do a two-tone look, with the top stripped back and the frame painted white. My loving (and very tolerant) husband stripped it all back. We deliberately left the edges a bit rustic/shabby chic.


We bought some clear Estapol and some paint (shade of white opal) which cost $60 but we have enough left over that when we find a similarly restoration ready dining table, we will have enough for that project too.

2 coats and a couple of hours and here's the result. I love it and now I just need to work out how to get rid of my old coffee table!


Project #2 - Work in progress! I am trying to make basket to collect our eggs every morning (I live in hope of huge hauls of eggs!). This basket uses stuff I already have around the house - some thin cord/rope and strips of left over material from previous quilts/projects I have made. I still have a long way to go (this much has taken me about four hours!) but I love how it is using up things I have stored away and getting rid of my material clutter!


Kids go back to school tomorrow and I go back to work and I'm anxious to see if I can still fit everything in once over 8 hours of my day is spent in the office. However, these holidays have taught me how precious time is and I'm making a concerted effort not to waste so much time. I have to set a time limit as to how long I spend on the Internet (otherwise 30 mins can turn into over an hour!) and I am limiting my TV time by only watching shows I passionately love - it's amazing how I can sit and watch what my kids are watching (which is usually crap!) just because the TV's on.

I hope you all have had great time with your kids over this school holidays but I must say - I am really looking forward to school going back and routine coming back in!

No comments:

Post a Comment